Hopefully, you are brushing twice per day, every day, practicing those tips and tricks you learned as a kid. If you aren’t brushing twice daily, or are wondering if your technique is giving you the clean you need, here are some easy brushing dos and don’ts to keep in mind:
What You Should Do
– Use a 45-degree angle when brushing
– Use short, side-to-side strokes
– Brush gently, a light touch helps prevent wear and tear on your enamel
– Brush at least twice a day, especially after consuming something sugary or acidic
– Change your toothbrush every 3-4 months
– Brush for a full 2 minutes; set a timer if you need to
– Allow your toothbrush to air dry
– Store your toothbrush in the medicine cabinet away from other bathroom germs
– Use a soft-bristled toothbrush that is gentle on your tooth enamel
Things You Should Not Do
– Store your toothbrush on the sink counter where bathroom particles can get on it
- Keep your brush flat
- Use long strokes, short strokes are more effective
- Brush with force
– Use the same toothbrush for life
– Brush for less than two minutes
- Keep your toothbrush in a closed container
- Use a stiff bristle
If you keep these tips and tricks in mind, your enamel and overall oral health will be much better off for it!
Schedule your appointment today. Call Dr. Katia Doumit in Ottawa, Ontario at 613-232-8000 or visit www.urbandentalcentre.com.
Dr. Doumit proudly serves Ottawa and all surrounding areas.